Wednesday, April 4, 2012

'And this help us understand better the notion of “selflessness” advocated by Buddhism, a notion about which there is seemingly infinite potential for misunderstanding. Rather than identify with nothing, it is an attempt to identify with freedom. Radical freedom. And yet, we are never free unless our contexts are free as well. If anyone in the world is suffering, I am suffering too, if indirectly, if by no other means than the guilt that warps my ways of dealing with the world.'


‎'Meditation, then, is practice in separation from narratives and images which we have felt determine some aspect of who or what aspects of ourselves and/or our world are. As each thing comes by in our mind, we separate from it. I’m thinking that thought, but I am not that, it doesn’t bind me, I’m free from it, I can separate from it. I feel that emotion, and yet, it doesn’t control me, it is a part of me, I acknowledge it, I see it as caused by its contexts, but I am free to choose to dive into it and explore it, or let it fade, because I’m not that. I’m rather, a principle of infinite negativity, to use a Hegelian term, a site of infinite creativity. I am only limited by my relation to my contexts, and I can alter this through action, by making the world a better place, a freer place.

And this desire to free the world doesn’t mean doing what we think is best for it, to control it. Rather, it means to try to help the world free itself from its own chains, its own illusion of the necessity of the narratives and images, the essences, which imprison it. It is to want the world to self-actualize, on its own terms. A good therapist wants this both for themselves and their clients. This is what a Buddhist means by compassion.'



via http://networkologies.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/networkological-buddhism-a-deleuzian-anti-essentialist-relational-reading-of-buddhist-concepts-and-practices-or-doing-battle-in-virtual-reality-with-the-world/

No comments: